Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Right and Wrong - new song


Last year my friend Shyla made me aware of this Rumi quote:


“Out beyond the ideas 
of wrong doing and right doing, 
there is a field. 
I'll meet you there.”


She brought it to me during a season where I was attempting to write a complete song every single day.  As you might imagine a lot of those tunes were total dogs (some even had fleas) but as I look over that batch of songs there are a couple that I am actually proud of.  These are the words to a song I wrote based on this quote.  I think it may even make it’s way onto the new album.  (Spring 2012 hopefully)


Someone once said that we are all trying to be advertisements of better versions of the real us.  I can totally relate.  There is this space between wanting the real Jim to be the best he can be and at the same time extending myself grace to receive grace in the areas where I need it.


“extending myself grace to receive grace”


Man… there is freedom in allowing ourselves to be wrong from time to time.  To admit being wrong and confessing it to whoever is affected by it is such a freeing proposition. 


Anyone you need to call? Go ahead then.... This can wait.


Ok… welcome back.  Hope that went well.  Here is the song.  Working title is I Will Meet You (in between).  Consider it a poem for now.


I will meet you in between

The things you love and the things you’ve seen.

Where condemnation takes a rest

and mercy does what it does best.


And the way we were won’t matter

and we will fail to see

 the counterfeits we really were

instead of who we were to be. 


I will meet you in a far off land

where struggle struggles to even stand

You’ll take my heart

I’ll hold your hand

I’ll meet you in a far off land.


And the way we were won’t matter

and we will fail to see

the counterfeits we really were

instead of who we were to be. 


I’ll meet you at the end of the road

For the part of the story that remains untold

where angels sing and love unfolds

I’ll meet you at the end of the road.


And the way we were won’t matter

and we will fail to see

the counterfeits we really were

instead of who we were to be. 

You’ll be you and I’ll be me.


2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I am the 1st to comment on this. Great stuff Jim. We should all read each others blog and get inspired as I am right now. Thanks Bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes jim. this is beautiful. so simple and kind. i think it should be time to paint a sign with a jim trick quote. woohoo.

    ReplyDelete