Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cambodian Soup


This soup calls to you in the night.  It says “come to me my love and I will fill you with Cambodian delights the likes of which you have never known”.  That’s right my people… a talking soup!  For that fact alone you should try this recipe.  For Alison and I this is one of our all time favorites.  It was published in Food & Wine a few years ago.  Every month they find a big shot chef with a cool name and have them dumb down their favorite dishes for chumps like me!


Below you will find the original recipe but I rock it out Jim Trick style.  I  use all of the meat off two rotisserie chickens, a whole pound of medium shrimp, brown rice and lots of spice!  I also use like 4 or 5 cloves of garlic because my Grandfather (the late Vinny Dirago) would have wanted it that way. You can use a bigger pot and go nuts.  Though I have not tried it yet I think coconut milk would be amazing in this dish. 


Are you afraid of fish sauce and flavor?  Do Thai chilies make you squirm?  Hike up your skirt, grab a box of Kraft mac n cheese and I will call you as soon as all the people of Cambodia stop calling me to tell me how dope my soup is.  It could be a while.


 Cambodian Chicken-and-Rice Soup with Shrimp by Ratha Chau

One 3-pound rotisserie chicken

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger

2 garlic cloves, minced

4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth

1 cup water

3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce

1 teaspoon honey

1 cup cooked jasmine rice

8 shelled and deveined medium shrimp, halved lengthwise (about 1/4 pound)

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

2 tablespoons chopped basil

1 Thai chile, thinly sliced

Lime wedges, for serving 

Cut the chicken into legs, thighs, breasts and wings. Cut each breast crosswise through the bones into 3 pieces. Remove the thighbones and cut each thigh in half.


In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the ginger and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the stock, water, fish sauce, honey and rice and bring to a boil. Add the chicken pieces and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook just until opaque, about 1 minute. Stir in the limejuice, cilantro, basil and chile and serve right away, passing lime wedges at the table. 

Make a double batch and give some to someone you don't know that well.  Omit the exotic Asian stuff and add some noodles and you have the best quick cook chicken noodle soup you've ever tasted. 


Thanks for reading,  happy cooking!

Jim





2 comments:

  1. Cant wait to try a bowl of this bad boy on for size. If this recipe comes close to holding a candle to your Pancetta Pork, I is in trouble. Thanks for sharing. LDog.

    ReplyDelete