Friday, January 27, 2012

Photograph of God


This picture was taken by a contemplative monk named Thomas Merton. It is entitled The Only Known Photograph of God.  I wonder if that means anything to you.  When it first was brought to my attention years ago, I was in a very different place.  I thought it was ridiculous and I dismissed it as such.  Review of this photograph and its title provides an opportunity to better understand our thoughts not only on God but also on art.  

Title aside, what is this picture of?  

Well Jim... it's a picture of a hook!!! 
Is it?

Why isn't it a picture of trees?  Why isn't it a picture of a field?  Why isn't it a picture of mountains?  Why isn't it a picture of the sky?  

In life, art and faith we humans have a tendency to only see that which is right under our noses.  Or in this case dead center.  Limited perspective equals limited understanding.  Steven Covey says "Seek first to understand, then to be understood.  Understanding requires openness and willingness to see beyond the obvious.  What would happen if we applied this idea of full perspective understanding to our relationships?  What if we applied it to our relationship with God.

Perspective breeds understanding. Understanding breeds compassion. Compassion breeds love. Love never fails.



"My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone."     The prayer of Thomas Merton

3 comments:

  1. Jim, I believe I have all of Mertons books. He had such a focus on the comtemplative life, on meditation and prayer. This was the early teaching of the Church and today it is often neglected due to the influence of the New Age. The Church needs to take back what belongs to her with Christ as the focus of this quiet time. Love you brother! Nice job! In Him, George

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like "Footprints", this tells me that God cares for me - I am lifted by Him. In pain, sorrow, and in joy. he carries me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do I see? I see the only way out- Him reaching out, offering, the "hook" open, not moving,in plain sight, waiting- for me to reach out and grasp the very thing that will pull me up out of the mire of this world.

    ReplyDelete